NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner to the health and social care system, using digital technology to transform the NHS and social care. Their mission is to harness the power of information and technology to improve health and care.
The NHS’s information network is the critical core of sharing data and communications, keeping patients, clinicians, and NHS organisations connected. The existing monolithic contract was costly and expiring. Timescales for replacement was extremely tight. We were tasked with creating and delivering the commercial model, establishing the successor services, and overseeing the delivery of the necessary procurement projects while managing the exit of the current contract. It continued into enabling successful delivery of the new network (HSCN) to meet the Government policy of disaggregation, resilience and security of Critical National Infrastructure (requiring widespread approval from external stakeholders such as Cabinet Office, HMT, CCS).
Working closely with NHS colleagues, establishing effective governance and putting in place the management processes needed to deliver the commercial structures and operations. Key deliverables and activities included:
- Establishment of effective commercial governance
- Development of the commercial model, setting out the commercial principles and procurement strategies for delivering the whole of the programme
- Shaped and established the wider government approvals and stakeholder engagement activities
- Oversight of the cost assurance documentation and Terms of Reference for external advisors
- Delivered the Commercial Case of the full business case using the Five Case Method
- Led the development work necessary to establish common terms across associated and impacted supplier contracts
- Oversight and assurance of all key procurement deliverables, commercial documentation and contracts
- Developed the approach to procuring the Access Connectivity solution (to enable the wider NHS to contract with suppliers to connect to HSCN) while managing input from the Crown Commercial Service and Treasury to establish the commercial strategy
- Planning and preparation of external communication activities, including customer and supplier-facing workshops and briefings